Jul 23 Executive Presence: Seize your leadership destiny!
If you are like most ambitious executives, then you have probably pictured yourself in the C-suite since early in your career. The problem I observe with many leaders who are in a similar position, though, is that they have become too accustomed to seeing that ultimate goal as a distant dream. They cannot comprehend that it is a very down-to-earth and attainable reality!
Earn it. Then own it.
- If you watched some of the recent Wimbleton tennis matches you probably saw how determination, poise, and mindset made the difference on the court.
- Oftentimes a young up-and-coming contender will have to contend against a much more experienced and higher-ranked player. Intimidated in the company of powerful competitors, their deep-seeded lack of confidence percolates to the surface and they crack.
- Fans applaud them for trying, and then they are quickly forgotten. The same happens every day in the corporate world because when opportunity knocks leaders are not well enough prepared.
Others have done the hard work to position themselves for a shot at the top. They identify with the role of the winner, and it shows in their executive dress, behavior, communication skills, and overall presence.
- Because they practiced every move, skill, and thought process they know they can be victorious. They bravely seek the limit of their comfort zone every day and then push past it to set a higher standard and a new challenge for themselves.
- Once the match starts they are fully ready to perform on the big stage, keep their cool, exert their personality and intelligence, and exhibit professional presence even under duress.
- In fact, in their minds they have already won and have been waiting for it to become officially recognized when they are handed the trophy. So they roar onto the court, take what they have earned, and walk away as deserving, destined champions.
Don’t risk reaching the threshold of greatness and then being passed over or forced to retreat. Proactively prepare yourself now, every day, with the kind of empowering executive presence that announces “I have arrived.”
Then ultimate success is no longer just a wish, it is your destiny, and it is just a matter of time until you get the call and are offered the position you’ve always dreamed could (and someday would) be yours.
So what is your vision of ultimate success, and how are you externally demonstrating your preparedness for that goal and greater role? Please share your story so we can all learn from it.
As a pioneering and visionary innovator, Sarah is a certified professional image consultant and brand strategist, speaker, trainer and author. Her company, Illustra Consulting, provides leading-edge image and brand management strategies for top leaders and high achievers who wish to take their career to the next level. She also delivers innovative and inspiring corporate workshops to assist large organizations in strengthening their corporate brand.
Copyright © 2014, Sarah Hathorn, AICI CIP, CPBS
1-800-267-3245, [email protected]
This article may be reproduced only in it’s entirety, including the above bio.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Sarah Hathorn, CEO of Hathorn Consulting Group, is the go-to-expert in working with leaders and companies to create successful corporate DNA. As an executive coach, consultant and speaker she collaborates globally with clients and brands such as Deloitte, McKesson, Kimberly-Clark, Sherwin-Williams, Home Depot and other leading organizations.
Subscribe today to get my newsletter, Corporate DNA™ for leadership articles on how to maximize your talent pipeline, develop & enhance leadership capabilities, inspire and influence to communicate top results and much more.