Aug 12 Does Your Closet Hold the Keys to Executive Presence?
Everyone knows that actions speak louder than words. But too many of today’s executives fail to understand that their outward appearance is also a critical component of action or behavior. How you look broadcasts loud messages about your executive presence – or lack of it.
Look Like the Leader You Want Others to Follow
- Lots of people think of wardrobe as a passive thing. Plenty of leaders don’t consider their choice of what to put on in the morning as their first executive decision of the day. That inattention to detail can be detrimental to your career.
- Why? As a leader you are the role model for your team. Your outward look is an expression of your internal mindset and one of the keys to a well-rounded and powerful executive presence.
- You would never expect to see a military commander leading his troops in civilian clothes, or a professional athlete running out onto the field without the proper uniform.
- Similarly, when I go to visit HR executives and Fortune 500 CEOs at their corporate headquarters, I expect them to look the part – crisp, polished, and immaculately coordinated from head to toe.
External Appearance Equals Internal Strength
Your appearance is also an integral part of your own self-identity.
- You look in the mirror and automatically your sense of value, self-esteem, and confidence is profoundly impacted by what you see.
- That means that on multiple levels how you dress and carry yourself influences your performance and productivity.
- If your responsibilities include leadership, then how you look directly translates into how productive and performance-oriented your team will be.
- So don’t minimize the importance and persuasive power of your visible brand. Leverage it to your advantage.
There are many aspects of a great executive presence that it can take a long time to develop, but dressing the part is one of the highly valuable executive presence traits that you can instantly acquire! How does the way you dress affect your mood, mindset, and feeling of confidence and empowerment? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
As a pioneering and visionary innovator, Sarah is a certified professional image consultant and brand strategist, speaker, trainer and author. Her company, Illustra Consulting, provides leading-edge image and brand management strategies for top leaders and high achievers who wish to take their career to the next level. She also delivers innovative and inspiring corporate workshops to assist large organizations in strengthening their corporate brand.
Copyright © 2014, Sarah Hathorn, AICI CIP, CPBS
1-800-267-3245, [email protected]
This article may be reproduced only in it’s entirety, including the above bio.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Sarah Hathorn, CEO of Hathorn Consulting Group, is the go-to-expert in working with leaders and companies to create successful corporate DNA. As an executive coach, consultant and speaker she collaborates globally with clients and brands such as Deloitte, McKesson, Kimberly-Clark, Sherwin-Williams, Home Depot and other leading organizations.
Subscribe today to get my newsletter, Corporate DNA™ for leadership articles on how to maximize your talent pipeline, develop & enhance leadership capabilities, inspire and influence to communicate top results and much more.