Every senior executive I coach in Fortune 500 companies faces nonstop leadership challenges. They endure mergers, have to keep raising the bar on quarterly performance and productivity, and feel constant pressure to innovate. They achieve one goal or launch one initiative. Then another obstacle appears in their career path or executive projections. They develop critical leadership skills. Then they need to master another new set of skills to keep moving forward. They eliminate one problem. Another one pops-up and demands immediate attention. The responsibility is exciting and rewarding. But it can also get lonely and exhausting at the top of a competitive organization.
That’s why many high-level executives retain me as their trusted advisor. I fill the role of a candid but supportive sounding board and strategic partner. I offer fresh perspective they don’t get internally, to help uncover opportunities for predictable success. Many of my corporate clients ask me “How am I doing as a leader, compared to your other senior executive clients?” No two leaders are exactly alike. Each has their own strengths and needs for further development. But what I can tell you is that they all benefit from the seven surefire leadership tips I’m going to share with you today.
1) Develop a leadership vision for the future, while focused on leading in the present.
Always connect what you are doing right now to your future achievement, in practical, goal-driven ways. That gives you alignment to make everything you do each day relevant to where you want to go.
2) Embrace the dynamic space outside your comfort zone, where the biggest positive growth happens.
The comfort zone is where the status quo lives, and if you spend too much time there you become stagnant. Practice venturing out of it to experience the growth zone where leadership thrives.
3) Target your division’s progress benchmarks, but keep delivering overall organizational results.
Never lose sight of your role within the whole organization, because divisional achievements equal organizational outcomes. Your teams will realize their direct, crucial contribution to the company’s success.
4) Inspire, engage, and motivate your team to achieve their ultimate potential and highest career aspirations.
Motivation is one of the primary drivers of development and success. Show your teams how to achieve their goals, and they’ll achieve yours.
5) To achieve groundbreaking results faster, balance risk aversion with a fearless drive to boldly innovate.
Don’t take haphazard, knee-jerk risks. But don’t be afraid to take smart, strategic risks, because that can lead to dramatic innovation and huge success.
6) Learn to reframe failure as a path to greater resiliency, by embracing challenges with a solution-oriented mindset.
To be human is to sometimes fail in your endeavors. But learn to rebound, and that can be your greatest source of resiliency and determination.
7) Always exude executive presence and remain a poised and steadfast role model, no matter what difficulties you endure.
Leadership means that others are always looking to you for inspiration, guidance, and strength. Never let them down, no matter what challenges you face, and you’ll be a memorable, iconic leader.
Leadership is a Rare Privilege
Most people never get to experience the awesome responsibility and incredible rewards of leadership. That’s especially true if you lead an influential organization. But you have that privilege because you earned you with hard work and dedication. Now make sure that you take full advantage of your opportunity. Follow these seven tips to reach the pinnacle of your success. Do it for yourself and for those who depend on you and look up to you. That will automatically further your legacy, while you enjoy a more fulfilling leadership executive experience every single day.
Ask yourself these key questions:
- When you inventory your leadership capabilities, what do you need to change or add?
- What items listed above do you need to intensify?
- What fears do you have that can be replaced by confidence in yourself, through strategic development?
Reply below and let me know what’s holding you back from becoming the best version of your leadership. I’d love to have the chance to help you amplify your success and up your leadership game to the next level.
Sign-Up for My Newsletter
Enjoy articles like this one bi-monthly, by signing up for my exclusive but free Corporate DNA newsletter. Twice a month I share key insights, innovative tips, and proven strategies. Topics include leadership mindset, personal branding, executive presence, predictable promotion™, persuasive communications, and how to expand your influence as a leader.